Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rain Goddess Update

I'm sure you all have projects in your closets or sewing rooms that just always seem to get put on the back-burner right?  Well, this Rain Goddess quilt has been on the floor in our apartment for 2 months now, just waiting to be picked up and put together.  I think this was because the last time I worked on it, I definitely got a little overwhelmed (new technique, no pattern, lots of individual curly hair, etc).  And although it's nice to have the floor space to leave a project for that long, I decided it was high time to get this project off the floor and getting it moving in the right direction again!

All of the applique fabric (except the umbrella handle) is fused to the fusible web and cut, leaving just enough around the edges to fold under for a finished look.


I waited on the handle, because I am anticipating the need to make it longer or shorter once I have everything else together.  So this will most likely be the last thing I add on.

I then cut a white sheet to 5.5' by 4' so that I would have a guide for the background.

I wanted the background to be varied widths of different batik fabrics in a diagonal stripe for the "Rain".

Luckily in March, I learned how to sew string blocks for the Craftsy BOM project, because I realized that the background for this quilt is basically just a really large string block.

I really love batik fabrics, which is why this entire quilt will be made from batiks!
So to get the right angle I marked the white sheet diagonally, sewed my first strip to the sheet then folded the sheet back to sew the next strip and used the sheet only as a guide for each new strip.  Then when I am done, I will be able to trim everything up and cut away the sheet.

Unfortunately halfway though making the background, I ran out of fabric!!  Can you believe it?

So until I get more fabric...here we go...


Can't wait to finish the background and start appliqueing all that hair!

Also, if you haven't already, please check out my giveaway that's going on through Thursday, March 31st, 2012 for a chance to win a Turtle Trails Quilt pattern and 4 fat quarters of batik fabric! Click here to check it out!



Happy Quilting Everyone!


3 comments:

  1. That's going to be a fabulous quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! It's a little slow going right now because it's my own design and I tend to be a little more particular with things like that, but I think it will be worth it in the end! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to keep visiting and seeing the quilt finished. Please join me at www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete