Sunday, April 1, 2012

February Blocks for Craftsy BOM

I had some time this weekend to work on doing some catching up on the Craftsy block of the month quilt. For the February blocks Amy taught us two different techniques and designs using half-square triangles.

The first one was the Balken Puzzle or Windblown Star Block.


Amy showed us the magic half-square triangle technique where you can make four squares at once by sewing two fabrics together (completely closed), then cutting along the diagonals.  This technique was really easy and quick to make the little squares but when it came to piecing everything together, I realized that my triangles were not very even and I had to stitch and restitch a few times before I was happy with this block.

The second block was the Chunky Chevron Block.


I love this block!!!  It was also made with half-square triangles but this time, we sewed down each side of the diagonal.  You can only make two squares at a time with this method but each square was so much more accurate and this block flew together.  I think liking the design better might have had some influence too. :)

Here are my two February Blocks together:


And the all four blocks so far:



6 comments:

  1. I don't understand sewing two blocks together...but sounds interesting once you can work out the kinks. LOL

    I'm glad you are getting caught up on your BOMs! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take two squares and sew all the way around them, then cut diagonally across the square, like an "X", you will end up with four squares of half-square triangles.

      Delete
  2. I love your blocks! they look great!I had to remake the Balkan block only because it came out to small. Reading some of the posts on Craftsy, it seems a lot of people had the same problem. Had to remake using a scant 1/4 in seam.I didn't have any problems using the first technique to make the HST's, but I startched the heck out of my fabric before i cut it. It was as hard of paper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I think I was just not careful enough. All of my blocks except the first Astrix block have been a little small, but I think in the end I will just cut them all down to a smaller size. I don't mind having a slightly smaller quilt. If anything I can make it up in the borders. :) The second technique was a little more work but I think it forced me to be more accurate and so made my block go together much nicer.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful color choices!

    ReplyDelete