Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge

SewCalGal is hosting the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge and I have taken the pledge!  Every month, there is a new tutorial and a chance to learn something new, improve free motion quilting skills, complete that month's challenge and enter to win awesome prizes.  This month's tutorial is written by Ann Fahl.  Ann talks about the basics of free motion quilting and gives tips on everything from which darning foot works best to how to use different types of threads and sewing needles.  She also suggests that everyone keeps a notebook of ideas and favorite designs so that they are easily accessible when your need some quick ideas for your next quilting project. 

I prepared a quilt sandwich and started playing with some of the designs that Ann showcased in her tutorial.  After quilting each design, I just let my mind go free and doodled away!!!  Here is the end result:





9 comments:

  1. Awesome quilting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great on your FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing!You are a real star on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That's really amazing. I'm complete rubbish at fmq.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you do an amazing job with your FMQ! Have you been doing FMQ for a long time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I started teaching myself in October 2011 and just started with some simple shapes and trying to write my name. Then i found Leah Day's website and went crazy trying to learn all the different designs. Her videos are super helpful! After a while I started feeling more comfortable and started trying some of my own designs. This was really the first time I just sat down and tried to combine all the designs on one piece of fabric. I'm also working on my first whole-cloth, the heart and feather QAL with Leah.

      Delete