Sunday, November 6, 2011

365 Project: Day 1-7

I came across a free motion quilting site recently that really peaked my interest.  It's called www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.  The woman who started the site did a project that she called the 365 project.  She devoted a little time everyday to quilt a different pattern on a 6"x6" square block. This helped her explore different patterns and improve her free motion quilting skills.

This site has become a most visited on my list of bookmarks, so I decided to follow her steps and challenge myself to do a 365 project of my own.  Free motion quilting has been something I have been interested in since I first started quilting but for a long time I didn't think I could do it without a long arm machine.  I started practicing a few months ago on my home machine with smaller pieces and then came across the day style designs website and learned that you can use a smaller machine even on larger quilts.

My goal is to quilt 365 6"x6" squares using the patterns on the Day Style Designs website and adding in a few of my own designs as I go along. As I improve my skills with each design, I plan to start using a larger variety of patterns in my full size quilts and maybe even doing a whole quilt or wall hanging with just free motion quilting and no piecing.

I will post my squares here each week for you to see.

Here are my squares for week 1:

Day 1: Shadow Waves























Day 2: Etch-A-Sketch
























Day 3: Gentle Flames

























Day 4: Basic Spiral



























Day 5: Echo Shell

























Day 6: Echo Rainbow 






















 
Day 7: Fern and Stem





No comments:

Post a Comment